Friday, August 12, 2011
Mod. 5 blog post
•When you decided to obtain a DVD for your science fiction assignment in Module 4, where did you go to find a movie based on a Philip K. Dick book? Did you rent or purchase a DVD, or did you view it digitally on your computer using Netflix or a similar vendor of video-on-demand?
When I watched Minority Report for the science fiction assignment, I was actually able to pull it up on my cable’s on-demand service and watch it through the premium channel service. It actually saved a lot for me because I didn’t have to go rent anything and locating it was very simple and efficient.
• Is the current competition between DVDs and video on demand an example of increasing returns or Red Queens? Justify your response with sound reasoning and specific examples.
Based on how Thornburg referred to Arthurs’ increasing returns theory that states, “Two innovations hit the market about the same time. By chance one technology gets locked in and drives the other to extinction” (Laureate Ed, 2009). With this in mind, it goes back to the simplicity of ordering movies on demand from the comfort of your own home the same way I did, without having to order or wait on a DVD. The clarity and speed of digital television surpasses DVD’s and the equipment is already installed in most people’s homes, pushing DVD’s towards the verge of extinction. Many people now view videos on their computer and DVR’s record movies for people to watch whatever they can’t watch live. DVD’s have progressed from normal now to Blueray, but the equipment to play these discs is costly because the technology is still emerging, whereas most cable companies charge $10 more a month for the High definition receiver upgrade, which seems more feasible for those on a budget. Eventually though, it seems to me as if the cable company will win this battle if Netflix and other similar companies don’t change tactics and come up with a better idea.
• Where do you think DVDs and video-on-demand are on the four criteria of McLuhan’s tetrad?
I think video on demand and DVD’s fall under enhancement in the tetrad because they do enhance the movie watching experience since you can locate almost any movie from almost any time period and watch it whenever you want to. It also rekindles the drive in movie because you don’t have to get dressed up to watch the movie. You can sit in your pajamas and curlers if you choose and invite the whole block over if you want and it’s still going to be one price. Not so if you were to go watch the movie at the movie theater now-a-days.
-Brandy
Laureate Education, Inc. (2009). Emerging and future technology. Baltimore: Author.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post. I think we are missing something here with omitting the traditional way of watching movies at the movie theater. You brought an interesting point that you can watch a movie at home and invited everyone over to watch it, yet people still go to the movie theaters to watch movies, for entertainment purposes. Do you think DVD's have done damage to this industry? The movie industry is still making billions of dollars on movies in the theaters even with the availability of movies from home.
ReplyDeleteBrandy,
ReplyDeleteI have two thoughts about on-demand. In one sense I agree that it is paving the way because of the ease of access and availability but the cost of on-demand service and the cost the the movies when rented can deter some users.
Now I know there has to be a balance because everyone has to get paid in the industry but I think there is even another wave of movie availability coming our way. Accessibility has to stay and affordability has to be managed, there is also availability at all times. I don't think redbox, Netflix, or even on-demand has truly covered this function. I say this because sometimes the movies are not available on demand, or not available for online streaming on netflix, so therefor you have to locate and alternative. When they have perfected the function of availability PCs, phones, tablets, and laptops then we can truly be an anytime anywhere society when it comes to movie rentals.
I envision more of an application that can locate any movie on any provider's site which makes it available immediately.